Sunday, May 11, 2008

Was Braxton Bragg Really That Bad? V


Last year, I devoted several posts, entitled "Was Braxton Bragg Really that Bad," to suggesting that he wasn't. (You can find them by clicking on the "Braxton Bragg" label at the right.) The posts were based largely on the writings of Steven Woodworth, who has argued that the common knee-jerk opinion that Bragg was the worst of the worst does not withstand careful review.

Until yesterday, I thought I was alone; I don't think that I had ever seen anyone else in the blogosphere dare to defend poor Braxton. Yesterday, however, I was delighted to discover a like-minded spirit. At Army of Tennessee, Braggophile Lee White, a Ranger at the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park, has published a number of entries seeking to raise the general's reputation a notch or two. Continue the good work, Mr. White! And thanks for pointing me to Grady McWhiney's talk to the Civil War Round Table in Chicago, Braxton Bragg: Misplaced General, which I had not seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails