Sunday, May 03, 2009

Two Additions to Brett's "Top 10 Civil War Blogs" List


At TOCWOC, Brett Schulte posted yesterday a list of Top Ten Civil War Blogs, in which he generously included this site. As anyone who’s been here before knows, categorizing this site as a “Civil War Blog” is a stretch. In Brett’s defense, the best I can say is – thanks!

Brett’s list and the one I would make are remarkably similar. Although I’d have to agonize over who I’d drop, my list would include two entries that didn’t make Brett’s:

First is TOCWOC itself. Brett understandably didn’t nominate his own blog, but I’m sure that it would be on almost anyone else’s short list and really needs no introduction or extended description from me. Brett and his cohorts produce everything from longer essays and book reviews to “short takes” on Civil War news. The variety of the topics and quality of the execution make it a daily stop.

The other omitted blog that is a favorite is Rene Tyree’s Wig-Wags. Readers of Rene’s blog will know that it is not devoted solely to the Civil War. Rene is currently studying military history and therefore diverts often to other conflicts and issues, but that’s what makes her blog enjoyable: you’re never quite sure what you’re going to get. Rene’s other great asset is that her enthusiasm really comes through. You can sense her delight when she begins a new course or dives into a book that offers a new perspective. I believe I also have Rene to thank for pointing out such useful adjuncts as Academic Earth, and her enthusiasm for the Kindle has piqued my interest (although I haven’t bitten yet). I check in at Wig-Wags regularly, and so should you.

2 comments:

  1. Elektratig,

    WOW. I managed to forget Rene's wig-wags as well, and it is one I read daily as well. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways! I need to add wig-wags immediately.

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:32 AM

    elektratig...
    Thanks for the kind words!

    Rene

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails