Saturday, July 26, 2008

"I think she was more material"


During the Buchanan administration, Horace H. Day, a rubber manufacturer, was particularly resourceful when it came to entertaining Congressmen in Washington. According to Roy Franklin Nichols,
Mr. Day retained the services of two spiritualists, a Mrs. Gould and Mrs. Sarah H. Whitman of Providence, described as "an authoress of some celebrity." A Mrs. Stone, wife of one of Day's clerks, also was active "moving with members." A witness later testified, when asked if Mrs. Stone were a spiritualist, "I think not -- I think she was more material."

2 comments:

  1. What a fantasitc cartoon - you have the best images! Where do you find them?

    I am very interested in Victorian spiritualism and have incorporated it (a little) into a mystery novel I am (very, very) slowly writing that takes place in Brooklyn in the 1890s. Brooklyn was a major center for spiritualism, lots of interest in it there.

    I am so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    I'm delighted you're enjoying it. As for the illustrations, I just keep searching the standard sources with various combinations of keywords until I find something I like. I can't say there's any magic to it.

    e

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails