Thursday, October 23, 2008

Guess the President


Extra credit if you identify the writer (pictured above):
The next day after my arrival I visited the President, accompanied by some Democratic members. In a few moments after our arrival, a tall, high-boned man came into the room. He was dressed, or rather undressed, in an old brown coat, red waistcoat, old corduroy small clothes much soiled, woollen hose, and slippers without heels. I thought him a servant, when General Varnum surprised me by announcing that it was the President.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Jefferson? "tall, high-boned" would seem to rule out Adams and Madison. And I can't believe Washington would ever forget his dignity so as to receive somebody as described. Style of dress would seem to rule out anybody later. . . wondering a little about Monroe but will say Jefferson. ENJOY your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    You are correct -- Thomas Jefferson! The writer was William Plumer, Federalist Senator from New Hampshire.

    Thanks for the kind words. I'm delighted you're reading. Don't hesitate to chime in any time.

    e

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails