Sunday, December 12, 2004

A Real Military Problem

A general bursts into his commanding general's headquarters, thrusts an index finger into the commander's face and says:

You commenced your cowardly and contemptible persecution of me [over a year ago], and you have kept it up ever since. . . . You robbed me of my command . . . and gave it to one of your favorites . . . in a spirit of revenge and spite, because I would not fawn upon you as others did. . . . Now this second brigade . . . in order to humiliate, you have taken . . . from me. I have stood your meanness as long as I intend to. You have played the part of a damned scoundrel, and are a coward, and if you were any part of a man I would slap your jaws. . . . You may as well not issue any orders to me, for I will not obey them, and I will hold you personally responsible for any further indignities you endeavor to inflict upon me. You have threatened to arrest me for not obeying your orders promptly. I dare you to do it, and I say to you that if you ever again try to interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.

No, this incident did not occur during the Afghan or Iraqi war. It's Confederate Nathan Bedford Forrest to CSA General Braxton Bragg.

Source: Wiley Sword, "Mountains Touched With Fire: Chattanooga Beseiged, 1863".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails