Tuesday, February 20, 2007

City Stereo


It's been a long time since I've told you that I love low-power tube amps and high-efficiency single-driver speakers, so I'll tell you again: I love low-power tube amps and high-efficiency single-driver speakers.

My setup in my small city apartment is simple: Lynn Karik-Numerik CD/DAC, conrad-johnson tube preamp, Audionote 300B stereo kit amp (8W), and small DIY speakers with Fostex drivers. The picture above was taken years ago, but it will give you the idea. Not ideal for Wagner or Mahler, but then again I'd be tossed out if I really cranked it up anyway.

Playing now is Tom Rapp's (Pearls Before Swine) The Use of Ashes, from the recently-released Jewels Were The Stars collection. I've had Tom Rapp's albums for over thirty-five years (yikes!) and play them at my weekend house, where I have a setup that includes a Rega turntable. It's about friggin' time that these albums have come out on CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails