Sunday, June 10, 2007

Al 'n Abe

In his latest book, Al Gore reportedly attributes the following quote to Abe Lincoln, apparently circa 1864:
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."

The only problem is that the quote is apparently bogus. Andrew Ferguson reports in the Washington Post that "these words don't show up anywhere else in 'The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln' (which, thanks to Gore's Internet, are now searchable at http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/)."

Sounds to me like the Goracle should have checked first with Brian Dirck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails