Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thomas Jefferson says, "Ouch!"



I was becoming concerning that Gordon Wood was going to gloss over Thomas Jefferson's dark side. Not to worry. How's this for a no-holds-barred body slam:

In trying to implement his policy [of supporting the right of neutrals like the United States to carry goods], he [Jefferson] ended up completely stopping the flow of all American overseas trade and at the same time repressing his fellow citizens to a degree rarely duplicated in the entire history of the United States. Jefferson's extraordinary efforts to defend the rights of neutrals to trade freely drove the country into a deep depression and severely damaged his presidency. He ended up violating much of what he and his party stood for.

There's a bit too much of Robespierre in the Sage of Monticello for my taste.

2 comments:

  1. As one who has portrayed Thomas Jefferson professionally to convention audiences from Boston to Honolulu for almost 20 years, may I offer another view?

    While Jefferson favored the embargo, it was the Congress which authorized it. Jefferson, as President, was simply doing what the executive is supposed to do: Carry out the laws enacted by the people's representatives.

    To categorize the embargo as something solely and exclusively as Jefferson's doing is to misunderstand the whole issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,

    I actually just ordered yesterday a couple of books on Jefferson's foreign economic policy and the embargo in particular. I will bear your observation in mind as I read them. That said, I will need some convincing, since I think it is fair to note that both Gordon Wood and Leonard W. Levy (Jefferson and Civil Liberties: The Darker Side) portray Jefferson as the driving force behind the embargo and the abuses that accompanied it. I may try to go back and pluck out a quote or two if I have the time later in the week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails